Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why is "nappy headed hos" racist?

I dont understand what about this is racist. Was it in the context that he said it? If so, explain. What is "nappy" hair? I thought there was a band called "Nappy Roots" so it's not a derogatory comment?



If anything, why aren't people more worried about the fact that its sexist? Hos? Are you kidding me? I can see how that is offensive.



But if someone called me a thin-haired ho, I would be pissed about being called a ho.



Someone explain this to me. I really want to understand.



Why is "nappy headed hos" racist?

The "snappy headed" portion was just a derogatory statement with racial overtones - it refers to unkempt long curly hair, generally associated with people who aren't using good hygiene. The bad part was "Ho's" and yes it is gender offensive ... but it's also racist because it is African-American slang for "whore." He tried to use Ebonics very unsuccessfully. It was in very poor context for an old, rich white guy to try and sound like he understood the black street lingo and use the words in the way that he did. It was very awkward at the least but in his defense, I don't think he had any idea what he was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment